Archive for March, 2009
These are my links for March 8th through March 11th:
- Rummager's galactic find turns out to be stolen meteorite – JSOnline
- Amazon.com: 80's Decade Box Gift Basket – Classic 80's Candy: Gourmet Food
Cool gift box idea, candy from the 80s.
- Amazon.com: 70's Decade Box: Gourmet Food
Cool gift box idea, candy from the 70s.
another cool hexbug mod.
- How to Improve Twitter Email Notifications | Chris Pirillo
An improvement for twitter mails, esp the X is now following you ones.
- YouTube – Christine and Mark get married!
- Hacking Your VCR Yields Monster Results | Geekdad from Wired.com
- Shapeways | photoshaper
- ROBO KEY COVERS
Awesome robot key covers. I should get one for the key to the office.
- aimeewilder — robots
Way cool, and expensive robot wallpaper.
Share and Enjoy
The first thing most people notice is the small nine inch screen. At just 1024×600 it is a little cramped, but the display is very sharp and small fonts render well. I suggest running Firefox in full screen (kiosk) mode to maximize your display area. If you’re looking for the F11 key, it’s available, but hiding if you have a newer BIOS. fn z and x are F11 and 12 respectively. This makes switching in and out of full screen mode easier.
Everyone I’ve shown the netbook to wants to know about the keyboard. It is smaller than a normal laptop keyboard, but not as bad as the Asus eee 2G. I find that my right hand feels a little cramped and the number placement isn’t quite right, but I can still touch type on it with my fat fingers. The hardest thing to adapt to is the location of some of the punctuation, especially the tilde, pipe, and backslash. The grave and tilde have moved to fn q and w respectively and the pipe and backslash moved to the right of the P with the punctuation from right of the zero.
Share and Enjoy
I just picked up a bag of Doritos Toro Habanero at the grocery store. I can’t tell if this is a rebranding of their Fiery Habanero chips, but the Toro seem to be a little spicier and cheesier. I might just have to get a bag of each to compare. Each bite gives a temporary respite from the heat only to be replaced with a lingering and enjoyable burn.
I couldn’t find them online but if they aren’t a limited trial, Amazon might have them soon.
Warning: If you think the Fire sauce at Taco Bell is hot, then maybe you should pass on these.
Share and Enjoy
These are my links for March 4th through March 6th:
- .: oomlout :. CNC1
A three axis cnc machine that can be easily built using standard, home handyman level, tools.
Low Cost – (if everything is purchased off the shelf the cost for all parts is under $600 (significant savings could be made by skillfully sourcing some pieces)
- Royalty free stock images | robot – Illustration [Vector] Files | iStockphoto.com
Stock vector art.
- Green R | Royalty Free Stock Vector Art Illustration | iStockphoto.com
- VectorJungle – Free Vector Art, Vector Graphics and Backgrounds
- Researchers develop flying WiFi robots for disaster relief
Researchers at Germany's Ilmenau University of Technology are developing flying quadcopter robots that can be used to form a self-assembling ad-hoc wireless network in the event of disaster. Built with off-the-shelf parts (including VIA's Pico-ITX hardware and a GPS unit) the robots are designed to provide both mobile phone and WiFi access — and they can do it far more quickly than a technician on the ground might be able to.
- Magento Connect – Magento Order Export Module – Overview – eCommerce Software for Growth
Export orders from Magento
- CT32SSDN100P00 – 32GB, Mini PCIe SSD , from Crucial.com
32GB SSD that should fit in the Mini 9.
- Robot Programmed to Love Goes too Far
“Initially, we were thrilled to see a bit of our soul come alive in this so called ‘machine,’” said Dr. Akito Takahashi, the principal investigator on the project. “This was really the final step for us in one of the fundamentals of the singularity.”
- blog dds: 2009.03.04 – Parallelizing Jobs with xargs
The xargs -P flag can also be useful for parellelizing commands that depend on a large number of high-latency systems. Only a week ago I spent hours to write a script that would resolve IP addresses into host names in parallel. (Yes, I know the logresolve.pl that comes with the Apache web server distribution, and the speedup it provides leaves a lot to be desired.) Had I known the -P xargs option, I would have finished my task in minutes.
- How To: Hackintosh a Dell Mini 9 Into the Ultimate OS X Netbook
Installing OSX to a Dell Mini 9.
- Carcassonne (board game) – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Dell Mini Touchscreen installation
Add a touch screen to the Dell Mini 9.
Share and Enjoy
These are my links for March 1st through March 3rd:
- Up Next: 3 Disruptive Start-Ups, One Too Many Bloggers Collaborating | GeekCivilization
Could it be another life-streaming site to go head to head with Twitter, or another social networking site vying for Facebook’s throne? Whatever the next (dreaming-to-be) newest “disruptive” start-up is, we’re sure it’s bound to be just as unoriginal as using the term disruptive in your headline and two times again in your opening paragraph.
- Sustainable Food – Change.org: Biofuel Hazard
Corn on the cob; by Akash kThe USDA chief economist says the outlook for ethanol is poor, which predictably means that the government is going to double down on it. It's the great hope of politicians the world over that they can get a silk purse out of this sow's ear.
- Amazon.com: No Line On The Horizon: MP3 Downloads: U2
Amazon MP3 has the new U2 album, "No Line On The Horizon" for $3.99.
- Always Innovating: Introducing the Touch Book
tiny netbook with ARM processor. 10-15 hours on a charge and under 2 pounds.
- The Making of The Petaminx
Similar on some sense to the Rubic's Cube, this looks like an insane challenge.
- LEGO Mindstorm Ogre is a Minifig’s Worst Nightmare
- Computers Will Never Be Allowed to Think
Just think how difficult it has been for us to give blacks and women equal rights. We still haven’t been able to give gays equal rights. Any computer that starts to think for itself will be locked away in cyber-Guantánamo Bay forever.
- Power Twitter :: Firefox Add-ons
Leo Laporte suggests this as a twitter client. I'll add it to the todo list.
2D plans for a Uke
- ICC Source Mirror
Compiling the linux kernel with Intel's compiler is purported to benefit
- Bluetooth Bracelet with Vibration and LCD Display – From China
- DVICE: Bluetooth Bracelet discreetly vibrates, shows caller ID info